Compassion

When I was in third grade, my teacher Mrs. Trolliett was a very compassionate teacher.  She made a huge difference in my life with specific regards to reading.  When I was in third grade, my reading level rivaled that of a kindergartner.  Mrs. Trolliett was determined to get me up to a third grade reading level by the end of that year.  I didn't like reading because all the books I had read before were "boring" to me.  I needed books that I liked and wanted to read.  Mrs. Trolliett introduced me to Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey.  these books were a lot of fun and had a fair amount of vocabulary words that Pilkey makes fun of in the book.  These books sparked interest in reading for me.  I ended up reading more because I enjoyed some of the stories that were written for boys my age.  I caught up to my reading level by the end of that year and read just fine today.  Mrs. Trolliett was a huge impact on my educational development because she cared about me.  She never became angry with me for not being able to read very well or very fast.  She instead helped me and remained kind and confident while I read Captain Underpants and learned to love reading.  Because of Mrs. Trolliett's compassion for her students, including myself.  I owe Mrs. Trolliett a lot because without the basic skill of being able to read, I would not be able to excel in any other area of school.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sumac, (I'm Jim's student aid, in case he hasn't "virtually" introduced me to your class; he gave me permission to read/comment on your guys' blogs)

    Your story shows the incredible effects of a teacher that refuses to give up on his/her students and, (my personal favorite, and senior paper topic) the power of 'choice' in the classroom. Your story reminds me of that of Garrison Keillor in Lake Wobegon Days (if you haven't read it, you should check it out or listen to it on CD - it's hilarious). Garrison tells the story of a boy (obviously himself) who couldn't read very well, so his teacher asks him to stay after class one day and read to her. She says to young Garrison, "My, what a nice voice you have," and when the janitor comes into the classroom to clean, she says to the janitor, "Bob, just stay a minute and listen to this boy read. Doesn't he have a beautiful reading voice?"to which the janitor replies, "Like an angel!" And the rest is history - Garrison Keillor not only learns to read, but becomes a professional writer, hosts a well-loved radio show, and makes a movie. It sounds like you had a very wise 3rd grade teacher.

    ReplyDelete